Dyffryn Ardudwy: Accommodation, Attractions, Activities, Going Out, Shopping, Things to Do, Places of Interest, Outdoors, Llandudno Holidays, Llandudno Area Location, North Wales.
Dyffryn Ardudwy is a village in the Ardudwy area of Gwynedd, situated on the A496 costal road between the towns of Harlech and Barmouth and at the foot of Moelfre, part of the Rhinogydd range.
Dyffryn has one of the recognized nudist beaches in Wales, golden sands stretch from Barmouth in the south through Dyffryn to Shell Island in the north and on to the Glasfryn Estuary.
In Dyffryn Ardudwy there are some prehistoric cromlechs in and around the village. These are some of the earliest tombs built on the island. The cairn at Dyffryn Ardudwy has two separate Neolithic burial chambers and dates back from around 4000bc. Nearby is an avenue which was built by the powerful Vaughen dynasty (who were instrumental in placing Henry VII of England on the throne in 1485) to connect their family mansion, Cros-y-gedol (the Bog of Hospitality) with the family chapel. The existing mansion was built in 1576. Nearby, the Cros-ygedol burial chamber stands amidst the site of ancient fields and settlements and the area affords glorious views of Cardigan Bay.
The village has a railway station served by the Cambrian Line.